Scenario: Users cannot search in OWA or when in Outlook in Online mode. When you run the command below you notice that the Content Index State is Failed or Unknown.
get-mailboxdatabasecopystatus DB123 | FL Content*
ContentIndex: Failed or Unknown
ContentIndexErrorMessage: An internal error occurred for the database or its index.ContentIndexErrorCode:2
In the Application Event Log you see the following:
Event 1009, MSExchangeFastSearch:
The indexing of mailbox database DB123 encountered an unexpected exception. Error details: Microsoft.Exchange.Search.Core.Abstraction.OperationFailedException: The component operation has failed. —> Microsoft.Exchange.Search.Core.Abstraction.OperationFailedException: The component operation has failed. —> System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: Internal error while processing request
You have also verified that the Microsoft Exchange Search and Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller services are started.
Solution: Follow these steps.
- Create an security group called ContentSubmitters.
- This security group will have no members, but you need to add Full Control in the security of the group to:
- Network Service
- Now on the affected Exchange servers, Restart the following services:
- MSExchangeFastSearch (Microsoft Exchange Search)
- HostControllerService (Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller)